The DCOM project was ordered by the association DEUS (DataCentre of electro- nisation of local government in Slovakia), established jointly by the Association of Towns and Villages of Slovakia (ZMOS) and the Ministry of Finance of the Slovak Republic. The main subject of activity of DEUS is to create better conditions for the use of information technologies in local government, to which the DCOM pro- ject greatly contributes.
The aim of the project DCOM (Data Centre of Towns and Villages) is to change the current status of service provision by local government to a level that greatly reduces
the administrative burden for citizens, businesses, local governments and office staff.
The objective of the DCOM project is to build up a data centre that will provide local town and village authorities with the required application as a service, implement their integration with public administration information systems, while at the same time facilitating access to the electronic services of local government to the general public.
The leader of the consortium developing the DCOM solution is the company PosAm, member of DeutscheTelekom Group.
Goals and requirements
As part of the DCOM project, a set of software solutions will be available to streamline
the work of local offices and to make electronic services of local government available
to citizens. The solutions will be provided to local governments via a specialised data centre in the form of “software as a service”. The project also encompasses the supply
of the necessary IT equipment for local government offices together with subsequent maintenance and user administration. This means municipalities will be able to access a comprehensive set of services that cover all their requirements and unburden them from
a major part of their IT agenda. The project comprises:
– the creation and implementation of electronic services of local government (eServices), which will be available to users via web portals.
- across-the-board extension to towns and villages.
As part of the project, the company PosAm operates in the role of system integrator, responsible for:
- establishing the infrastructures for operation of all information systems in the shape of a robust and high-availabi- lity data centre on a base of the cloud concept,
- integration ensuring connection of DCOM to referential registers (Register of natural persons, Register of legal en- tities, Cadaster, Register of addresses and others) and selected information systems of public administration,
- the co-existence of DCOM and current information systems of municipalities so that from their perspective it produces a complex and virtually uniform business service,
- support modules for operation of the whole solution, including the softwa- re for support staff and the call cen- tre, municipality relations manage- ment system, billing, administration of access and rights, internal file storage, knowledge base and electronic education,
- maintenance and problem-free operation of the whole solution, including operation and maintenance of the HW datacentre, maintenance of software solutions, end device support for municipalities, and the provision of call centre services for end users of municipalities.
Results and benefits
DCOM greatly raises the output of local offices thanks to IT infrastructure, strongly improved options for using information technologies for office staff, citizens and the whole of public administration, but above all it makes electronic services available to citizens. In short, DCOM means:
- New hardware and software in a single package.
Towns and villages receive new computers, notebooks and printers, which are all pre-installed with the required software – just switch on and start to use. The services include also professional support for users by way of the call centre.
- All services are electronic and interconnected.
Thanks to electronic services and their connection to other systems of public administration, especially to the central register, the work of local government employees will be simpler, easier and more comfortable, and requests will be arranged faster. These modern systems will become available also for smaller villages.
- Compliance with legislative require- ments.
DCOM satisfies Slovak and European legislation so municipalities can be assured that all relevant legal obligations are met.
- More public services.
Services available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, over the internet, means citizens can arrange most of their affairs from the comfort of their own home or while
on the road, whenever it suits them.
“DCOM greatly raises the output of local offices thanks to IT infrastructure, strongly improved options for using information technologies for office staff, citizens and the whole of public administration, but above all it makes electronic services available to citizens. ”
Main benefits of the solution
- New hardware and software in a single package
- All services are electronic and interconnected
- Professional support for users
- Compliance with legislative requirements